TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Check if Fidanza ring gear is spinning around the flywheel
People Seeking Info

Subject Check if Fidanza ring gear is spinning around the flywheel

Posted by HillZTT on July 20, 2015 at 7:48 AM
  This message has been viewed 324 times.

In Reply To starter doesn't engage when cold posted by SkiFly01 on July 18, 2015 at 02:24 PM

Message Get the car in the air and have someone try to start it while you watch the ring gear. I don't remember exactly how I looked, but I've been in this situation twice. Maybe I opened the dust shield a bit, not sure, but you'll figure it out. The Fidanza has 3 small bolts that keep the ring gear secured (though its supposed to be an interference fit) and prevent spinning around the flywheel. They like to break the head off, then you get the condition that you have; gear spinning around the flywheel, so no turning of the engine. When you push start it and drive it, the flywheel heats and expands, seizing the ring gear on it. It will start just fine until the flywheel cools off enough that the rings gear is loose again.

I was able to replace the bolts with everything assembled as a temporary fix, but it doesn't last long as the fit of the ring gear and flywheel is already compromised. The small hardware alone won't stand up to the starting torque. I had this happen on the Fidanza, as well as the first series of RPS flywheels. Greg at SpecialtyZ modified the later RPS design to larger hardware, as well as welding the bolt heads to the ring gear. In typical Greg fashion, he took mine in to rebuild, opened the box to find a disaster, trashed it and replaced it with the updated design for just a couple of bucks. The original wasn't even bought from him.

On a side note, glad to see you still have the car. Your silver car got me in into Z32s. Was a sad day when that car left Kentucky / Indiana! Chris is close friend of mine.

------------------
Tada! "Low compression in cylinder 6."

SRC="http://img54.imageshack.us/img54/783/disassembly123fz6.jp
g">

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.